August 18, 2014
Do You Want To Be the Next Betty Broadbent?
Can you imagine that in 1884 an article was published in the New York Times claiming that a sideshow worker by the name of Lauran Laramie, who had tattoos all over her body, had given birth to a baby who had the same tattoo markings as she did? How cool would that be if it was the case? It was rumoured that all tattoos could affect the mental capacity of individuals – perhaps this was a case of where ignorance is bliss. Thankfully we think a lot differently about tattoos for women in today’s modern world.
You don’t have to be the next Betty Broadbent to enjoy a couple of stylish creations; however take a look at what we have to offer women at our tattoo studio. You will be spoilt for choice when it comes to selecting your perfect tattoo. But who is (or was) Betty Broadbent?
Betty Broadbent – The Tattoo Lady:
- Betty Broadbent – more commonly referred to as The Tattoo Lady was the daughter of a German Immigrant Martin Hildebrandt who had settled in New York, and became one of the first professional American tattoo artists during the early 1900’s.
- Her inspiration started at the age of 14 and when she met Jack Redcloud while working as a caregiver in Atlantic City she became intrigued by the ink covering his body.
- Betty was subsequently introduced to Jack’s tattoo artists, Charlie Wagner in 1937 as well as other talented artists who would proceed to tattoo an entire bodysuit of more than 565 tattoos on Broadbent.
- Suffice to say, Broadbent is the most famous tattooed woman of the last century and is believed to be the most photographed tattooed woman of the 20th century.
- Her message was loud and clear when she entered a beauty pageant in her swim suit and even though she shocked many her confidence and belief in her tattoos was who and what she was.
- In 1981 she was given the prestigious honour of being the first to grace the Tattoo Hall of Fame.
Tattoos for women have become all the rage and are seen as a thing of great beauty. Many famous names and faces are sporting ink art for a variety of reasons. If you are a woman and are keen to get your message printed for time immemorial, we will be able to offer you the one tailored just for you.